Historical notes about the Manor of Buckden, Huntingdonshire, England, UK
BUCKDEN alias BUCKDEN with THE MEMBERS alias BUCKDEN cum STIRTLOW, the chief of the four manors in Toseland Hundred, in which Remigius, Bishop of Lincoln, has already been shown to have succeeded his English predecessor Wulfwig. The Survey records that its value had fallen from £20 to £16 10s. There were a church, a priest, a mill, 84 acres of meadow, and woodland for pannage a league in length and breadth. Between 1155–8, Henry II granted to Bishop Robert and the Church of St. Mary of Lincoln 53 acres of assarts at Buckden and Spaldwick in perpetual alms. King Richard in a charter of rights of 1190 granted to the Bishops of Lincoln, free of regard and exactions, 50 acres of old assart and 50 acres of new assart at Buckden with the purprestures made in the same.
King John in 1215 confirmed to them their woods in Buckden, (fn. 25) and in 1227 Henry III granted them the right to have deer-leaps in their park there. In 1265 the vill was restored by the Earl of Gloucester to the bishop, who was believed to have been at one time an adherent of Sir Simon de Montfort. View of frankpledge was returned as held by the bishops in their vill in 1276 and 1279, and in 1284 was claimed under King Richard's charter.
The Armorial Bearings of the Bishopric of Lincoln.
Gules two leopards or and a chief azure with Our Lady and the Child or enthroned therein.
A grant of free warren in 1329 to Bishop Henry and his successors in their demesnes at Buckden was followed in 1330 by another of a licence for him to add 200 acres to his park there. The park was in 1354 restored to John, Bishop of Lincoln, after being taken into the king's hands in consequence of the action of his parker, who had driven into it the king's deer from the forest of Weybridge and Sapley.
Henry VIII appears as a visitor at Buckden, which figures frequently in correspondence of the 16th century for its lodgment of prisoners (including Queen Catherine of Aragon), as well as of visitors of note. In the survey of the manor in 1535 it appears that the demesnes were leased, and there is mention of a mill, dovecot, and Herthey pasture; of the Great Park and the Little Park, adjacent and annexed to the manor, with gardens and orchards in the precincts of the manor. The manor was conveyed to the Crown in 1547 and granted to the Protector Somerset, but was restored to the bishopric after his attainder in 1550.
After episcopal property had been vested in 1646 in trustees for the sale of bishopric lands, the survey of the palace already cited was made. A contract for the purchase of the manor was entered into with Sir John Maynard, who, however, in 1648 was discharged from all penalties for not perfecting this. In 1649 the Great Park, with tenements and lands, was sold to Christopher Packe, citizen and alderman of London, and his wife Anne.
The Armorial Bearings of the Bishopric of Peterborough.
Gules two crossed keys between four crosslets fitchy or.
Buckden was again restored to the bishops of Lincoln in 1660 and remained with them until 1858, when it was taken over by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners by exchange. In 1862 the Commissioners handed it over to the Bishop of Peterborough, who is the present owner.
Victoria County History - Huntingdonshire Printed 1932